Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Tuesday Tidbit: Use the Season to Make Learning Fun!

I love the holidays!  And, obviously, so do the kids!  Why not combine their excitement for the season with your standards and accomplish learning in a fun and connected way?  I decided to do this for a recent lesson on figurative language.  As I sat one night trying to make a review sheet, I was going through boring examples for similes and metaphors in my mind.  Her hair was as golden as the sun.  Wow, boring, right??!!  As I glanced around the living room recently decorated with my favorite fall decorations, it hit me.  Why not have the girl be "as sweet as a trick or treat bag full of goodies" or the night be "as black as a Halloween cat!"  I immediately brainstormed a bunch of Halloween themed examples for idioms, similes, metaphors, and alliteration with a renewed sense of energy.  I knew my students were going to have just as much fun reading and identifying all of my new, spookier review questions.  To make it even more "fun", I decided to put my examples on individual cards to create an interactive scoot game.  It didn't really take me anymore time but I know it will be so much more meaningful and fun for my students.  Check it out here! (1/2 price for this week only!)

Happy Teaching!   Jen

Halloween Scoot for Figurative Language


No comments:

Post a Comment