Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Tuesday Tidbit: How to Make Blueberry Pancakes and See Ohio! Social Studies in Action!


If you are a primary Social Studies teacher who teaches about natural resources, map skills, economics,  or all three (like in 4th grade!),  I beg you to GET THIS BOOK!  How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the USA  by Marjorie Priceman.  
The story begins with a girl who wants to make a cherry pie for the first time but finds that the local cook shop is closed.  Since she will need to make all of the pie making equipment by hand now, she decides to go on adventure across the country to get the materials herself.  The materials include granite from cliffs in Maine to make a pastry slab, cotton from Louisiana to make pot holders, and oil from Texas to make plastic spoons, just to name a few.  I loved this book and its Social Studies connections SO MUCH that I decided  to develop my own project for my students to work on based on the natural resources found in Ohio.  They LOVED it!  I actually couldn’t believe how much the students enjoyed this activity.  And I loved that it covered so many standards in such a fun, engaging, and meaningful way!  I even created a Google slide template and shared it with my students so that they could attach pictures and publish their adventure!  This has definitely been one of the my top lessons this year and I would love to share it with you!  As a thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to read my post on this activity, I’ve included it for free below.  I’d love to hear how it goes in your classroom if you try it!



No comments:

Post a Comment