Sunday, February 26, 2023

A "SWEET" Test Prep Activity!

Sometimes I think the hardest part of "TEST PREP" season is getting the buy-in from the students. WE know it's important, but to them I'm sure it just feels like more boring review activities. Because of this, I decided to develop a true challenge for them (and I included ice cream!) 

 In a nutshell, my Test Prep Sundae Challenge is designed to foster a sense of competition WITHIN each student to do their very best. At each stage of review, they will be rewarded with a different component for building their ultimate ice cream sundae. I've made the review activities using Google Forms so they can be quickly assessed, easily administered multiple times, and also improve students' on line technology skills. 

 This program is designed to foster a sense of self competition. Thanks to the Google Form platform, students are able to retake the 6 different tests as many times as needed to achieve a desired outcome. The focus is not on comparing their performance to others around them but, rather, to challenge themselves to grow from their own performance attempts. 


Here is how I implement it: 
√  At the beginning of my test prep “season” I send home a parent letter. This will not only inform parents of the nature of the activity linked to test prep, but give parents a chance to feel involved by providing needed materials for the activity. 

 √  I then set my date for the reward sundae party and post it for students to see. I usually leave about 6 weeks leading up to the test to get the most out of this and build anticipation. I'm always amazed by their level of excitement and commitment to meeting this challenge!   

√ I create a schedule that works best for my class each year. Usually following a 6 week period of time; I focus on 1 test per week. I pass out the sundae skill builder chart and go over it with students. This is where they can set individual goals. I then provide the link and time to perform the first task (Literature Test Prep #1) (*all links are provided in a zip file for all 6 tests!) 

√  After all students have taken the first test, I access their responses and share with them. Students fill in their first attempt on their chart. I differentiate my expectations based on student ability. For example, some students need to achieve an 80% on the first try to get the “large bowl”, and other students may need to earn a 70%. It can individualized however it works best for you and your students! 

√  Based on student results, I provide needed intervention the remainder of the week. This can be done in many different ways. I have found the most effective method to be simply printing a copy of the google form assessment and making copies for each student. I project a copy of it on my smart board and we discuss test taking strategies as we go through the test together. If I see a specific skill is really causing some students trouble, I may develop a quick re-teaching mini lesson for that skill. For students who achieved their desired goal on the first try, I assign them free, on-line games to further practice skills at their level.   

√ Re-Assess: Due to the nature of the assessments (Google Forms), students are able to retake the same assessment multiple times. They will fill in their 2nd and/or 3rd attempts scores as needed and mark their desired sundae component. 

√  Set up and enjoy a fun afternoon filled with ice cream and smiles!  Since it is review, I design it so that everyone feels successful based on their level of ability. I hope you might find the value in this highly motivating and engaging test prep activity. 

 I'd love to hear how it works for you or what other ideas you have to engage students during this time of year.  Best of luck to you as you prepare your students!

No comments:

Post a Comment